Monday, August 29, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!!!

More like Earthquakes, Tornado's and Hurricanes!!!

What a week we've had here. So many natural disasters, so little time! Let me take you through a photo journey of the past 48 hours!

Preparing for Hurricane Irene I went grocery shopping. My mom mentioned I should get some water just in case. Apparently other people heard the same thing!

In order to avoid loosing my trash cans or having them crash into my car or house (or someone else's) I had to bring them into the house. This killed me. How gross having your outdoor trash can near where you prepare food! It's disgusting!!! (The one good thing is that my trash can is so enormously large that I could fit the recycle can inside of it.)

I finally got too scared and Mortimer and I went to my parents house. With the amount of Tornado warning there were combined with the large amount of huge trees behind their house, we went to the basement and slept there. A few years ago my parents basement was a nice room full of furniture to entertain with, now it has become a storage room for extra furniture that has no home. Meaning our only options for sitting were an old chair and a desk chair, but you could have your choice and the 4 end tables and 1 coffee table. Other then that it was the floor.

Driving home the next day I could check out the damage. Lots of roads were closed making my normal 1o minute drive from my parents to my house a 40 minute drive.

The local pool runs right next to a creek which flooded a lot.
The pool is now closed for the rest of the season!


This picture doesn't do it justice but the local water treatment plant had so much water in its holding pond that is was pouring over the edge and the road around it was closed.

Around the corner from my house a huge tree fell on an apartment building.
Luckily I got home and my house was fine. No water, no damage, no tree limbs in the backyard! It was the best outcome I could have hoped for.

No comments: