Saturday, September 10, 2011

THIS IS WAR!!! (Mortimer: once the optional name of a mouse. Irony!)

About a month ago a mouse ran through my kitchen. Ew. It had been raining. Mortimer chased it. I never saw it again. I figured it left. I have never before, nor after that event seen evidence of a mouse having been in my home. I figured the rain forced it in and then it left when the rain stopped.

Last night I saw a mouse in the Kitchen again. It went up to Mortimer's bowl. He and I both noticed the little rodent at the same time. He got off the couch and immediately it ran into the laundry room. (I'm assuming it's getting in and out from somewhere in there. Lots of options with pipes, dryer vents and hot water heater.) Mortimer seemed to care less about the mouse, he was more concerned with it steeling his food. He stood guard at his food bowl for the next several hours. I on the other hand ignored it all together. I figured it would again leave and that would be the end of it.

Then when I was going to bed last night I heard one in the wall between my bedroom and the bathroom. It was scuffling around. Making all kinds of noise. Mortimer kept going into the bathroom and staring into the HVAC vent. OK so I must have a mouse problem. I hate traps. I hate killing animals. I always just hope they will leave. I'm not one of those people to completely freak out when a mouse runs through so no big deal. A friend of mine commented that it's weird that a moth will send me running like an idiot but a mouse doesn't bother me.

It just doesn't. Well at least it didn't. Until tonight!!!

I'm laying in bed, almost asleep after a very long day. I'm sleeping with my arms above my head. It was one of those miracle nights where almost as soon as I layed down I could feel myself settling into a nice sleep. Then suddenly I feel a little something on my hand. At first I thought it was Mortimer but then I realize Mortimer doesn't come up to the head of the bed. (I have him trained to stay on the comforter so I don't get cat fur on my sheets and then inadvertently stuck to my face in the night.) I quickly realize something is wrong.

I sit up, turn the light on. Could it be that a mouse was just walking across my hand...while I'm laying... on my BED!!!!! EWWWW!!! I jump up. How do I know. I look down for Mortimer. He's standing on the floor by the bed, in full on Stalk mode! All of a sudden the mouse runs out from under the bed. The hunt is on!!! I am no longer apathetic about this evil creature. I'm disgusted. Mortimer is at it, chasing the thing all over the room. (He cares now too!) EWWWW!!! It was just crawling on my hand!!!! I'm so grossed out, and wide awake now!

I have relocated to the couch. I'm not sure why but in my creeped out mind the mouse in less likely to crawl on me on the couch then on my bed. Mortimer is at it upstairs doing his job like a good cat should. I've changed my pillowcase since a mouse was just running over it. I've washed my hand (although I feel like I should have used steel wool on it and it would still feel dirty!)

Tomorrow traps are being purchased.

THIS IS WAR!!!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Are you winning the war yet??? That mouse needs to go!