Saturday, August 6, 2011

Clothes

I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl! Always have been.
I think this should be the uniform for life.

I had to dress up today. :( I am not a fan of dressing up. I hate it. (I think this is mostly due to a poor self image issue but that's another post for another time.) But today's dress up issue came with a whole new level of difficulty...the guitar.

Friends of mine were married today and I played at their wedding. Although I've played at 100's of weddings (that's not an exaggeration, from 1998-2001 I played harp on the weekends, mostly weddings) this was only my second wedding playing guitar. The last one was in the winter and I had a cast on my foot so pants were totally acceptable, almost necessary, but today I had to wear a dress. I've never played guitar in a dress.

There a lot to think about here:
-how does the dress look
-am I comfortable
-is it too low cut
-will the guitar strap pull it in a weird way
-can I move my arms in it (some dresses are more restrictive then they look!)
-I'm going to sweat when I play (always happens!) will it show in this dress
-how short can the skirt be and still allow me to plug in and set up pedals
-Will it photograph well (lots of picture taking at weddings)

Then came a question that I never thought I'd think about...
Does this dress match my guitar?

Yup, I actually thought that. My guitar is beautiful, I love it, but it's very feminine and a little folk looking. An edgy dress would just look silly with it. Almost like it portrays an image and my clothes need to follow. This is a weird thought because when picking my jeans and t-shirt for the day this thought never crosses my mind, but the dress situation had my mind spinning. In the end I picked the more feminine dress over the sleek dress. I was happy with my choice.

The irony is that I have made fun of a friend of mine for this so many times. He often chooses his guitars to match his shirt. Yes, his is a bit opposite, when you have guitars the number well into the double digits you can dress first and choose the guitar second. I on the other hand don't have that option. (Technically I have 4 guitars, but only 2 are actually worthy of playing, and currently only one is working.)

Needless to say it was an interesting process.


Isn't she beautiful!?!

No comments: