Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sara J. and Sarah M.

First day of school was always an awkward one for me. The teacher would take roll, and call out...Martha! I was mortified, I hated my name, no one even called me that, the kids would snicker, and I would correct the teacher to please call me Marti. (Then I'd also have to clarify that it was spelled with an "i" not a "y.") Over the years I have come to love both of my names and now have some people who refer to me solely as Martha. It has almost become a term of endearment (when used by a few select people. I still prefer Marti by most) I feel worse for the Sara's of this world. Growing up I had 2 of them in my class so they were simply referred to by their first name and last initial. To me that would be horrible.

After my post last night about my favorite baby friends I got to thinking about names. My friends are some of the best namers I've ever known. I love unique names. One of the things I like about my name now is that I've never met anyone (at least under the age of 80) with my name and I've never met another female with my nick name. It's unique, just like me, and I like that. When (not if) I have children I want them to have unique names. They may hate me for it as children but will appreciate it later in life. I'm always taking note of unique names.

Here are some of the good ones I've come across!
  • Rowan & Genevive (the girls)
  • Remy & Andrew (OK so Andrew's not that unique but if you new his parents it's very unique for them)
  • Skye (sister of the previously mentioned boys)
  • Aquinnah (Michael J Fox's daughter, one of my absolute favorite names!)
  • Addison
  • Enoch (and his brother Orion)
  • Jakin
  • Greyson
  • One of the blogs I follow is written by a mother with 3 awesomely named children Saylor, Raimy, and Renn.
  • One of my favorite bands consists of Reeve and his brother Zane.
  • Xander and Dwell (another set of twins!)
  • Lightning (father of the previously mentioned twins)
  • My sister is Jodi (not as unique as some but higher up on the list than most)
The list goes on and on, these are just a few I could think of right now. Needless to say I love unique names!

...with my luck I'll fall in love and marry a man who loves names like Joe, Sue, and Bob!


2 comments:

Timoteo said...

You could be a hipster and use Sue for a boy's name! Oh, and one notable exclusion from your list - Finnegan. Really like that one, even though I still haven't met him in person yet.

Marti said...

Isn't there a Johnny Cash song about that? :)